Tuesday, July 15, 2008

07-15-08

The weekend did not go at all as planned. Somehow I pulled a muscle or two in my back picking Tyler up out of his crib on Saturday morning which meant that I spent the rest of the weekend and Monday resting my back. Thankgoodness it was a grandma weekend because both Steve and Grandma stepped up to the plate and got everything done around the house and even the shopping. Today's session also had to be cancelled because of the physical requirements. If you've never seen a session, there is quite a bit of physical work involved, lots of lifing and bounch Tyler especially when he's unhappy about something and I can barely life myself at this point :)


Both Speech and OT gave me some good news about yesterday's sessions (which occur at daycare) so I thought I'd share those with you. We are now doing speech twice a week once on Monday and then again on Thursday before we see Carrie.

Speech: Tyler did a nice job today. He is still testing and trying not to do what he knows we want him to do. But it was easy to gently persist until he complied. He made lots of sounds again and engaged in the activity with the “Kaufman characters”. He labeled the dada and said mmm. He also said go when we played with cars. Oh and he signed all done very plainly with a verbal cue “are you all done”. He was a pretty happy little guy this morning.


Occupational Therapy: He was in a good mood, had good eye contact and smiled often! We did finger plays and movement, popped packing bubbles to “pop goes the weasel” * he could do more of this at home to improve his pinch and hand strength.
We put balls in various toys, blocks in and emphasized “open/close” the door. I brought an air table and he really liked to put the various parts “on” and “on top” as well as turn the button on/off. We put pegs on/off and stacked small blocks. He did some pointing and guiding me to what he wanted.


That's about all from our end. We started more supplements last night so we'll see what changes they bring, and Tyler goes back to the DAN doctor in two weeks and we'll be adding more at that point, so I'll keep you all updated on those things.

Mom and dad will be going on a much needed vacation soon so I apologize if the blog is not kept up to date.