Thursday, May 14, 2009

5/14/09

Here's the video i've been wanting to post. So a couple of things I wanna point out in this video. I'm asking Tyler to imitate me as well as sign some items on a card.. in other sessions I also have him make the sound I"m making but it's just not in this clip. You'll see me block an incorrect response. Clapping hands and patting on head are pretty easy for Tyler so I looped in a tougher one which was to touch his nose, he struggled with it..i.e. not doing it is the same as an incorrect response so I block that response but going back to something i know he can do on his own (although we have worked on nose pint before) and then I go back to the touch the nose request and help him do it before he can make a mistake...errorless teaching. So just wanted to point that out to everyone...part of verbal behavior is to block incorrect responses and replace them with correct responses so not to teach an incorrect response. I also realized after watching the clip that i need to clean up Tyler's fish sign a little bit. Oh and in case you miss it, his reinforcer for doing all this is his leapfrog tag book... We'd go through a sequence of demands and then he'd get to play with his book for a little bit and then I'd count down to alert him we were gonna do some imitation skills again and I'd be taking the book away, and then he'd go through the sequence (which was a bit different each time) and then he'd get the book back. He's beginning to like more of the books we have too which is great so it will continue to be reinforcing as it will not longer work once he's bored or not as excited about one of the books.


On another note, school said that the day Tyler struggled with transitions, he had a new parapro working with him. He had a great day yesterday working with the person he normally works with. I didn't see her there this morning so we'll see how today goes.

I had another dream Tyler could talk last night. This time we were singing "colors of the rainbow" and he started telling me the colors..it was so great.