Thursday, December 17, 2009

12/17/09



So I came accross this picture of Tyler the other day. I remember exactly when this was taken, I had went to the store and Steve took this picture while I was away. The thing was.. this picture kinda warmed my heart when he showed it to me. No, I'm not warped, but this was my son for the first 3 months of his life. Steve captured exactly who Tyler was at this time in his life. This is how he looked when he wasn't sleeping most of the time. He had terrible eating issues and now we know that much of it was caused by his autism and the biomechanics involved with his eating. Different medications, switching to soy formula and eventually stopping breastfeeding all together cured the probem. Gosh..there were so many signs, if only I knew about biomedical treatments sooner. I worried about autism at 3 months but didn't learn about biomed until 18 months. Anyway, wanted to share this picture. This was my boy, in pain, but still beautiful and as his onesie says.. a little heartbreaker.

Another long period of time between posts, sorry about that. The website was blocked for a while by the firewall and then this has been a crazy week. My grandpa had major surgery, I got sick and was in the hospital and then last night, Tyler vomitted a few times was not well. Welcome to winter right! Not to mention we haven't had our normal visits by grandma lately because she's been really sick for the past month. Things just haven't quite been the same without her in our lives.

So let's see, I'm not sure I can remember everything I wanted to say. Tyler seems to be more consistently saying "ma ma" when he wants my attention, I'm lovin' hearing that! He also seems really super chatty lately. Just babbling up a storm, I love it when he goes through these phases, I always hope that we are gonna get a real word or two :)

We are venturing out more this holiday season than we have in the past and our beginning to plan on how to set things up for successful trips, etc. All the holiday letters/notices are going out on teh autism list servs about what to expect, not to expect. For example, opening gifts is so much for for most kids and so much fun for adults to watch them, however, Tyler isn't itnersted at all. it just puts him on sensory overload. He doesn't understand why toys are wrapped in paper, why he gets so many new toys at once and why there is so much commotion at once. So we rarely wrap his presents, if we do wrap them, we let Ben open them. I often try to think am i doing this for me or for Tyler. Tyler doesn't care if they are wrapped so I shouldn't either. i also want to make sure whereever we are when peopl eare opening presetns, that Tyler is set a bit back from all teh commotion and has a room to go if he needs an escape. So with everwhere we will travel this holiday season, I try to think of where that room will be, where we'll sit, how I can make sure to see and be a part of the events with Ben while also meeting the needs of Tyler. I also worry now that he's bigger and moer interested in eating about him getting a hold of food he's not supposed to have and when the event is not held at my house, what food is out and about is more out of my control which means I have to be more closely monitor Tyler and his whereabouts when snacks and meals are set out. However, if we think and plan for all of those things in advance, it tends to go a lot smoother!

The boys also have their first official teeth cleaning and exam next week. Definetly nervous about that one. Steve is gonna meet me at the dentist and wait with each one in teh waiting room while I'm with the other one int eh exam room. We've been working with Tyler on opening and closing his mouth when we ask him too. We also have to remember that Ben needs antibiotics in advance of the appt due to his VSD so there is lots of planning just to go to the dentist.

Other than that, our hearts just go out to our family members who are under the weather,our many friends who are either out of a job or soon to be with out a job, friends who are having trouble growing their family and any one else facing hardship this holiday season. I am in a much happier place this holiday season than last and am really appreaciate that I have two beautiful boys and a wonderful husband to celebrate the holidays with and that we get to share our joy with more family this year is just icing on the cake.

Happy Holidays!