Friday, January 9, 2009

010909 Update


Here's a pic of Tyler on his way home from school today.
Sorry I haven't updated in a week, things have been very busy getting back into the swing of things and into our normal schedule. The good news is that Tyler had an amazing week back to school. They were amazed at all the signs he picked up over break and are doing things at school to help reinforce the signs. Just yesterday he picked up two more: Rooster and squirrel. He's doing really well and we are planning ways we can get more opportunities for him to use his new signs at home. He really loves the baby signing time videos and so we plan to keep getting those videos's, it teaches him and us. Tyler's aunt got him baby signing time flashcards and we are working on those too. If grandma can make it this weekend (darn winter weather) we'll work with dad and grandma on sign language drills with the flashcards. It's one thing to know the signs but in order to use them daily you actually have to know them without having to think about them.

Ben knows that Tyler goes to school and is started to say he wants to go to school like the penguins in happy feet. He also is beginning to say "your killin' me" too funny.... he's so darn funny. We've also begun to talk to him about autism especially since he's in his "why" stage. For example, why can't I eat my toast while sitting in a chair with my blanket or why can't Tyler have this food, etc. So it's a good opportunity to start explaining it to him. In fact the other day he goes, I hope Tyler can go to school with me one day and i said me too baby.. that's my dream! ben is very big into snuggling. If he happens to wake up before I'm ready for work, he lays in our bed watching cartoons while I finish getting ready and about every one to two mins. he goes, "mommy, come snuggle with me".. how can your resist that! He loves love loves attention and we try to give him as much as we can. We started talking the other day of the fun things we can start doing with Ben now that he's a bit older and are making sure that we aren't holding him back on opportunities because of Tyler's situation. It's a constant struggle that we do the best we can to manage.