Thursday, September 3, 2009

9/3/09

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah..lots of good stuff to report. When I picked up the boys from daycare last night, I was hanging out for a bit talking when I realized Tyler was starting to blow air out his mouth. To this point he has never blown air, i.e. blow bubbles, blow out a straw into water, blow out a candle, etc. This is fantastic news..another piece we needed to come together to help him talk. There are many things we can do to reinforce this behavior like today he had an airplane whistle at speech so if he would have blown into it,t eh propellers spin and he loves spinning. Anyway, probably not huge news to anyone but me but I was elated when I saw/heard him doing this, yeah Tyler. I gotta go get some more "blow" toys for him to practice on. An So last night was family movie night, Toy Story was the choice. Ben loved it by teh way. Anyway, I think it was our 5th family movie night and TYler participated more than he ever had in the past.. In fact, when we first started the movie and had asked Tyler to sit with us, he just started running back and forth so in order to keep it tru to family movie night and allow ben to actually see/hear the movie, I put one of Tyler's fav video's on in the foyer. He did watch it for a few minutes, but then he kept coming back over to us to read a book to him or something and then eventually he just kind of laid down where we all were and hung out with us for a bit. It was great. I was able to get a picture with my camera, Sorry it's dark but i didn't want Ty to get distracted if I turned on a light and I Don't have a flash on my phone so poor quality but awesome to capture everyone participating in family movie night. See...there is hope for our family yet :) Ok, now on to speech therapy, woo hoo! Ty did great, really great. she began the session by just saying hi to him and seeing how he interacted, etc. He was making a lot of sounds and she said this was great, he's got a good foundation for language by the different inflections, etc. I get into details in a minute but the whole session I just watched Tyler in amazement. I reviewed the blog the other night to prepare for the speech session and to also give myself a little boost. I struggle during the rare weeks where Tyler is not involved in something becuase i feel like I'm not doing my job to help him move foward, so those are always really good weeks for me to reflect back at his progress. So anyway, I was just so in love with Tyler today, watching him make sounds, and eye contact and signing, pointing, joint eye gaze, etc. and so happy why he was doing it. . None of that came naturally or easily for him. I just felt really inspired by him today and really hopeful and energized to continue our battle for him. He's so amazing. Ok, I was able to get a lot of video of today's session. Tee hee i go through that rant about him being amazing and you'll probably think big deal so he opened his mouth.. how hard is that. Again, for Tyler it's hard, imitation is hard, making sounds is hard, tolerating someone just touching his face is hard. It's all hard and you'll see that on the video. You'll see him clench his teeth and get frustrated with her. She's compared it to playing the piano, she goes imagine i sat you next to a piano and said ok, now play. she goes you'd be pretty frustrated.. that's how Tyler feels when we are asking him to make sounds, movements, words, etc. it's very hard for him, but he TOLERATES it so well! She pushed and pushed and never once did he try to go to the floor to bang his head, in fact towards the end he'd go to her to do his little mouth movements to get what he wanted. Ok so one of the videos where you see her doing numerous movements with his mouth, I am supposed to do this at home with Tyler, she did this a lto during the session, maybe 10 times or more? So I video'd it so I'd remember. She said this is also a good routine to establish so that he knows it's time to work on speech stuff. So anyway, if htat one seems weird I wanted to explain it. The other parts are her just geting him to sign and make sounds for what he watns or at least make the correct movement of his mouth along with the sign. by th way, who knew he knew the sign for lobster... but he does. signed it today. It is on one of his videos but he's never demonstrated it before. i wonder what else he knows that I dont' know he knows... Tyler rocks!!