Wednesday, September 2, 2009

9/2/09

Tyler has had diarrhea now for about a week, we aren't sure what's causing it. Luckily he usually has a day off in between so it gives his booty and legs a little time to heal. We finally found the ferinsol that the doc wanted us to start giving him. Since it's iron, I'm hoping this will help make him a bit more solid. Poor guy. He still is eating quite well and doesn't seem to be under the weather so I have to believe this is not illness related.

We start speech tomorrow...yahooo!!! I'll be working a late day tomorrow cause Tyler and I have speech in the morning. I think we are gonna figure out a more regular schedule at tomorrow session for when Ty starts school which is next week! Anyway, we are hoping he can go to speech right after school. Also, our hr benefits person is gonna help me try to get the proper coding and possibly try to get it reimbursed through insurance, if not, at least flex spending will cover it and Ihave enough money in flex spending to get us 4 months worth of speech and hopefully we'll have figured out something else by then.

Met up with Amy the other night. She's the director at EMU's new autism collaborative center and they are beginning a music therapy program in the fall so we are hoping to get Tyler into that. Gonna try to look into somehow getting a grant or something to help us with this or maybe biomed costs.

Tyler's picked up some new signs. he now knows "thunder" and "kangaroo"..he also is doing flower which he has been fo ra while just not sure I've put it in. watching him do kangaroo is so funny! We were going through an animal book last night and he and I were both signing the animals. we came to "goose" and I just said goose and he looked at me and my hands (which were doing nothing) and he looked back and me and I said, sorry little buddy I don't know the sign for goose. Gotta look that one up! He was like hey now! He was really enjoying the bee which I just use the "bug" sign for and then we'd play bumblee bumblee coming from the barn.. he got the biggest giggles.

Oh and we were able to get ben and ty to play a bit together last night. started a bit rough but worked out. Ben wanted in Ty's crib to play 5 silly monkey's jumping on the bed. So after that faded out, ben was throwing a ball out of the crib and back to me while I was readying baby baby bear to Ty (steve was doing laundry) so then Tyler wanted to see the ball but Ben was playing with it first so Tyler reached in the crib after Tyler to attack him. I said no Tyler, Ben is playing with the ball. Tyler then had another toy in hand that was similar to a ball and I said that one is Tyler's so Tyler threw it in the crib. I said Ben, Ty wants to play with you, throw it back to him so they had that exchange at least 5 or 6 times with Tyler laughing and Ben although not laughing seemed to be enjoying himself, yeah! Also that little Tyler attack moment, gave Ben a chance to pracice what we talked about "NO Tyler" he did great..no crying.

AND...it was shot night last night we don't think Tyler had a party in his crib last night. Yeah! Can't be 100% sure.. on party nights I tend to put the monitor closer to Steve because he's sleeps more soundly than I do but will wake up if Ty is crying. Well sometime in the middle of the night steve went to sleep in ben's room and hte monitor remained on his side of the bide so even though I didn't hear anything it's possible Ty had a crib party but I didn't hear a peep and he woke up at 6:30 so I'm thinking he probably slept through the night! Yeah.

we go back to the DAN Doc/Pediatrician next week. this is a follow up to all the labs we had run on TYler (thank god for insurance I'll explain that one later). So we go the comprehensive urine results emailed to us and can't remember if I posted them or not but the results were 13 pages long and I have no idea what it means other than the email the doc sent to me which said "this shows excess oxidative stress and possibly difficulty in digesting proteins" so we'll be talking about all that next week. Ok so that one urine test alone was over $1000.00. We paid $100 up front and luckily insurance does pay part of it but it's an out of network lab. just got a statement saying they covered $700 so we have another $350 or so to pay... on top of the $500 we just spend 4 weeks ago. Hence the reason we are gonna try to look for grants, and any way we can flex spend costs, etc. So I somewhat understand why insurance doesn't pay for biomedical treatment, it is somewhat experimental yet you have thousands of parents that will say it works.. so OK I can see that one but why won't insurance pay for speech, OT, behavioral therapy, etc. ITS SO IRRITATING! OK just had to get that off my chest.

Ok so that brings me to what i said last week about the National Autism Institute and some marking material they have out right now. I can't attach files (other than video and pics) to the blog and my attempts and cutting and pasting just didn't' work so I encourage you to follow this link..it's very powerful..hopefully it works..

http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/images/NAA_OBAMA.pdf