Monday, May 24, 2010

5/24/10

A big thanks to everyone who made it possible for Steve and I to get away for a few days! I know I've said it before but divorce rates are much higher for a couple that child(ren) on the spectrum vs. not and well we've had our share of scary moments to be honest. We decided on this trip that we have to figure out a way to get away together at least 2 times a year. When we go a year or longer we are already on the brink of throwing in the towel so to speak. I knew things were not going well for us so I knew a break was in order and where there's a will, there's a way. I intentionally applied for a credit card that gives enough frequent flier miles for at least 2 round trip flights just for signing up. I was all over that! So thanks to a couple of free flights, a cheap govt rate hotel and some fabulous relatives for watching our children, we jetted off a very much needed get away together. It's sometimes so easy to caught up in day to day stress and even though you know you love eachother and you know why you love eachother, it can begin to drown in all the stress and negativity in life. Our trip was amazing, I cannot remember the last time we were so happy together. It's been a long long time. So thanks again to everyone who made it happen.

The first night we were gone from home, Tyler went around spelling our names and looking around the house for us. i talked to him about us leaving, etc. but I'm not sure if he understood or not, I think he did. He has been amazing all weekend in fact. He's making all kinds of noises and sounds and while we were gone he didnt' have any of his B12 shots. We talked about stopping them again for a bit to see if we see any regression, we also started one of his new medications. I bought some organic fruit/veggy juice suckers to see if we can get him interestedi n suckers, if so, the B12 he needs come in sucker format and we'd like to use those instead, but only when he needs them vs. the injections every other day. I really feel like he's trying so hard right now to communicate and am hoping we'l see a break through soon. Speech is today and she has a new app for the ipad she wants to try with him so I'm excited for that!

We had Tyler all to ourselves on Saturday because ben was at the lake with my aunt. So we took him to an indoor water park. It was so nice to be a one kid family. He loves the water and water slides. he even went down the big slide with dad and ahd a ball, waiting in line wasn't so easy though but we managed. We also worked with him on swimming. He likes to dunk his head under and he holds his breathe, he's doing so well! We had a great time, I'll post pictures soon.

Gotta go for now, just wanted to say thanks for all the support and love that our family receives. We coulnd't make it without you.