Wednesday, June 4, 2008

6/4/08

Tyler had his monthly assessment at U of M today. They take data from these assessments for purposes of the study to evaluate Tyler's progress. According to Dad, Tyler showed off some of his new skills such as pointing. Tomorrow begins our first "community" visit so Carrie is joining Tyler and I at playgroup to help show me ways to get Tyler more socially involved in the group. Next week Thursday, Ben will be home to so we are going to use that as our community visit. Tyler and I have some new goals about him interacting with his peers so having Ben hoem while daycare is no vacation will be a great help at working towards are new goals.

Over the past few days I've read some really light hearted stories regarding autism. One was a video on You Tube where a boy with autism graduated from hich school and during the ceremony, he received a standing ovation. His mother said the class has embraced him from the time he started school. Another one was a story of a girl who won homecoming queen at her school, she got 95% of the vote and was very happy. I know i sometimes send the sad stories so I wanted to send the happy ones as well.

In light of our upcoming family event regardign Tyler, I thought you'd all enjoy this story/picture. Every child with autism is different, but this little boy and this story reminds me so much of Tyler. It's such a beautiful picture.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/community/ownwords/intheirownwords_picture_words.php

We are looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.