Friday, November 21, 2008

11/21/08


So a quick update on the study. The lead investigator asked that we continue with the monthly assessments and the full assessment battery at what would be the end of the study for him in May. They are being flexible working around days where Tyler doesn't have school to schedule this appointments, so we were happy to help out. So looks like we aren't going to fully drop out anyway.

So we are gearing up to complete Tyler's first IEP (individualized education plan) for preschool. We are so lucky to be in such a supportive and knowledgeable school district as many parents often complain about how grueling this process can be. all the parents I've spoken too have had wonderful experiences with AAPS. This basically sets the stage for educators, therapists, and parents to agree upon what educational services are appropriate for Tyler and what goals we'd like him to achieve within in a certain time frame. Obviously our main concerns are Tyler's lack of vocal communication, his inability to hold/sit still, and his texture issues which I believe is what prevents him from eating independently.

You all are probably more knowledgeable about autism than the general population, many people think that everyone with autism is like rain main which isn't true, each person is very very different and only a small part of the autism population are considered "savants".. however I do always find it fascinating, those who are thought to have had autism such as Einstein and Newton. Here's a video of brief overview of the connection between Einstein and autism. http://livingwithautism.magnify.net/video/Einstein-The-Autism-Connectio What I like hearing in here is that Einstein didn't' speak til he was 4, OK, i don't "like' hearing that, however, people always says to us, "is he talking yet?"... I say no and they look disappointed, but I'm not. I mean yeah, I really want him to talk but he's come so far in terms of communication, it's just hard to explain that to people who do not fully understand all the steps of communication that must occur before talking can occur. Mind you, Tyler can understand A LOT of words and phrases. If I say, Tyler pick up your blanket, he will. In the car yesterday, I handed him back a piece of cookie and said, "Tyler, want cookie" and he looked when I said his name and cookie and grabbed it. Before he never would have even looked when I talked to him, I'd have to keep touching him until I got his attention and then find a way to get his attention to my hand so he could see the food cause he didn't understand food words, now he does. I'm also still amazed at how quickly he learned colors, alphabet, and numbers. He's such a quick quick learner.. I can't wait for the day that he has better communication skills because I really think he has above average intelligence.

Here's a quick video of the boys playing with trains. Tyler is starting to like trains too.. yeah, parallel play. In fact, if you listen, it's Tyler who has the giggles... a far cry from the boy spinning wheels in the corner, emotion and expressionless!