Thursday, April 9, 2009

040909

Tyler picked up another new sign yesterday. We were going through some flashcards he got for his birthday and I hold up the cards and for the ones I know he knows the sign I say "what's that?" and then he signs it and then I hand him the card and he gets the card and can touch it (each card has a different texture for him to explore). Yesterday, was the first time that I asked "what's that?" to the card of the baby. I've signed this to him for a year at least cause we used it for rock a bye baby initiation during the early part of teh study, but he never picked it up before and I never really did any hand over hand with him on this one either. Anyway, I said "what's that" and he signed baby and signed it perfectly! Yahoo.. i was very excied. I think he only has acouple more to go out of that stack of flashcards, and the only reason he probably doesn't know them is because I don't know some of the signs for them like tractor, jelly and a few others I need to look up so I can teach him.

The boys are getting pretty used to mom being home and both are having a bit of separation anxiety. I've been home a lot lately cause they'veb een sick. Last week it was Tyler but we kept Ben home too assuming eventually he'd get sick anyway and this week Ben is sick. We went to the doc yesterday and Ben is battling his first bout of strep throat. Poor guy. Anyway, this morning Ben was begging me not to go to work and Tyler wouldn't even get out of the car (we've been working on him getting in and out of his car seat independently. So I carried him into school (cause I hadn't placed any demands on him to walk) and we played dog where i bark and pant and growl, he loves it. It's pajama day at school, how fun. Tyler is wearing bull dog pajamas so it was perfect that we were pretending to be dogs on the way in.

Both boys are getting interested in their Leapsters. Ben was playing with his this mroning so Tyler went over and got his leapster. For the most part, TYler just likes to turn his on and off right now, he's a little impatient waiting for hte games, etc. but we are working on it. We've asked the easter bunny to get him the thomas the train leapster game for easter and I'm thinking that one may capture his interst enough for him to be a ltitle more patient and once he realizes how fun it is and can learn he may be more wililng to be patient with other games. That is if the easter bunny can find some time to go shopping, been busy with doctor appts and sick babies, even the dog needs to go to the vet for ear problems.

Grandpa came down yesterday and brought a big boy transition bed for ben so we are excited to get that set up. As soon as Ben gets used to a real bed, we are going to transition it to Tyler. I've been stressing trying to find a twin bed that has a corner to it and this toddler bed is perfect cause it has railings on the headboard and railings on the side so there is a corner per se. Tyler sleeps with his head pushed up against the corner to get that pressure on his head so I wanted to make sure whatever we found for himw ould provide the same pressure. So we will let Ben use that bed for a month or so and then get ben a twin bed and use that new bed for Tyler

So with all the illness that we've had this winter, it's really hard to move forward on any of our long term goals like Ben being potty trained or planning any table learning time for Tyler. We kind of have been in survival mode since January. I'm really hoping this last bout of illnesses is our last for a few months anyway, so we can make some headway. I really would like Tyler to be completely independent in eating by the end of summer and Ben to be potty trained.