Monday, June 22, 2009

6/22/09

Tyler had a very good weekend considering he either has a cold or allergies ar ebothering him. Ben spent the weekend with his grandma and great grand parents so itw as just us and Tyler this weekend. What a difference in makes in the time/quality you can give one child. Anyway, we went to my sisters openhouse and TYler did very well. The amount of people didn't bother him at all, in fact, he did great with everyone. We brough lots for him to do so that he wouldnt' just run in circle and my cousins took him on a few golf cart rides which he loved. I'm very happy with the way things went. I also had an opportunity to ask him to pick up his cup, last time I did that he was beside himself mad at me for asking, this time he just did it and handed it to me without objection. Its one thing to throw down cups at our house,w hich I still don't allow but definetly not respectful to throw them down in someone else's house so I'm trying to teach him to hand it to someone or put it on a table when he's done.

Tyler did something really cool yesterday morning when we were at my aunts. I was sitting on the chair and he walked by me, looked at me and waved hi and just kept walking. That's the first time hes' even chosen to communicate with me for a purely social reason. He didn't want anything from me and I wasn't engaged with him at the time, he just wanted to say hi. HUGE step forward.

He also did really well at the sprinkler pad yesterday. For some reason teh "break" time for teh water is extensive.. i.e. 20 minutes of rest between the 5 minutes the sprinklers work. We weren't sure what the problem was but if this would ahve been last year, Tyler would ave been on the cement trying to bang his head out of frustratino. I couldn't warn him it was shutting off cause I didn't nkwo when it was coming and I had no idea it was gonna take a full 20 mintues to come back on so tht waiting/patience involved was a lot foa typical child let along Tyler who can't understand why I can't fix it. he did fantastic with the long breaks and never once even screeched.

Tyler has begun screaming a bit, in a high pitched sound but is very happy. I'm equating this to a baby who had just really discovered their voice and that they are in charge of how long or short and how high or low each sound is. It may annoy others and I'm sure people look at him thinking ok he's a toddler, not appropriate to be screeching, however I see this as a very very positive sign. Hopefully next will come babblying with many differenc onstants and vowels in the same sequence and then speech. we'll see.. but I don't mind the screaming.

That's about it.. I seem to have caught some sort of bug this weekend so we'll be taking it easy this week and it may take a while to get another update.