Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I often think about things that i want to put in the blog but by the time I actually am writing, I forget half of them and then when I remember what they were, I can't remember if I just thouht about writing them or I actually put them in the blog. So I'm sorry if this is a repeat story.

Steve's mom told me about a little girl who sings the national anthem at various sporting events. I also caught a glimpse of her on a talk show where they were mentioning how the Orlando Magic had never lost when she sang before the game. The key is that she has autism, specifically PDD-NOS. She has an incredibly amazing voice at 7 years old but at 3 years old she could not talk. Although Tyler's diagnosis is more severe than hers, it still gives you hope. She's came so far. Here are some links where you can read about her story and see clips of her singing. http://www.ginachildperformer.com/id1.html or http://www.youtube.com/user/ProdigyGina

So put yourself in Tyler's shoes, he understand what you say to him for the most part but knows that he cannot talk to you. So when he wants to make a point or is frustrated about something, etc. and can't actually speak it or doesn't know all the signs he needs to make it happen, imagine how frustrating that is for him. So I make it a point, to make sure that he knows I understand him and if for some reason I don't understand why he's saying, I really really try to get to the bottom of it. So at the lecture hal the other day, he was making obvious gestures that he was ready to get out of the chair and looking to me to help and to fix it and rescue him. I gave him lots of squeezes and said I know, I undertand, we are almost done, you are doing great..just a few more minutes. I think him just knowing that I understand what he wants, etc. makes those moments that arent' so comfortable for him, more bearable. I mean isn't that what we all want, jsut for someoen to understand when something makes us mad, even if we can't fix it for them. So the other day, Tyler wanted me to go upstairs with him, for one reason or another i couldn't, but grandma was happy to go upstairs and read with him (which is what he wanted, he has a lot mor ebooks upstairs than downstairs). He was getting frustrated that I was not walking up the stairs with him. Grandma was great and wa trying to walk up with himbut he was getting more frustrated. I asked that she not grab his hand or he grab hers. Tyler kinda does what he's supposed to do so if someone grabsh is hand to lead him somewehre, he'll take it, even if he doesn't want to cause that's what you aer supposed to do when someone grabs your hand. So I asked that they stop holding hands and I looked at Tyler and said I knwo you want mommy to go upstairs, but I cannot go right now. You have a choice, you can go upstairs and read books with grandma or you can stay downstairs where mommy is and read books with granma. Mommmy cannot go upstairs with you right now. Even though he wasn't 100% happy with this explanation, he understood he had a choice and he made it. He chose to stay downstairs and read books with grandma so he could be by me too. It's really important for me to know that he understands that I understand what he wants if that makes sense. I think that's why many kids have such behavior issues, especially whent hey can't talk becuase people just pick them up or physically move them or lead them somewhere possibly undesireable when that child wasn't able to fully get their point accross sot hey melt down becuase they didn't get what they wanted and they weren't given an opportunity to communicate what they wanted, even if they can't get what they want, I think it helps to show that you at least understand it and then offer an alerternative. I wish I could explain this better and hopefully it makes sense. I just always want Tyler to know that I understand his feelings since it's so hard for him to express them.

Ben was super cute with Tyler last night. Ben was playing dinosaur games on the computer and there are a couple that Tyler likes to watch too but many times Ben gets annoye dwith Tyler cause he likes to get so close to the screen. Steve said that yesterday, Ben actualyl turned the computer screen so Tyler could watch too. I really think he's starting to come around like everyone said he would. Once he's old enough to understand it all. At the park the other day he was talkign to me about Ty Ty. He often talks to me intead of Tyler when he wants Tyler to do something. The funny thing is, many people do this. They think since Tyler can't talk that he can't understand or hear what you are saying, not true. So it old Ben that he can talk to Tyler as often as he'd like because Tyler can hear him adn loves to hear his voice and even though he doesn't show that he's listening, he can defetinly hear him and one day hopefuly Tyler will be able to talk back to him. I really hope they can have a good relationship one day, it will be so good for both of them.