Thursday, November 12, 2009

11/12/09

Let's start with Monday. Monday's are always hectic. I start work at 6 a.m. so that I can end work by the time Tyler is done with school. On Sunday, I had packed diapers and wipes in his school back pack so that I'd have them in the afternoon. I had packed a snack and juice in my car for him knowing he'd be hungry in between appts. So I pick up Ty from school at 1:45 and we race off to speech at 2:00 on the opposite side of town. Speech ends right around 3, we pay the bill and pack up. I get Tyler in the car, get him some juice and pretzels. We now have 15 minutes to make it even further on the other side of town to music therapy. he's snacking, I'm driving... thinking how I need to change his diaper when I get there and I'll just quickly do it in the car, we are a block from the school and it's 3:14 (1 min before music therapy starts). I open the side of Tyler's backpack as we are driving up to the center and the diapers and wipes are gone! Oh no...Tyler hadn't had a diaper change since school and music therapy was another 45 minutes and then another hour by the time we got Ben and went to the bank and got home. eeekkkk.. Steve dropped TY at school so I realized he must have taken the diapers out of hte bag.. grrr.... I call Steve to politely (or not so much) tell him that I was gonna kick his ass for taking the diapers out cause I didn't know what I was gonna do now and it was the first music therapy session and I didn't want to miss it! So i calmed myself, searched the van and found one lonely diaper, yahoo.. quickly changed him and got him inside. P aid the bill there (expensive day) and then went back to my car to call Steve and apologize for yelling at him. He thought they were left over diapers from me taking the boys to the park so he took them out. we are just on such a tight time table sometimes there isn't a lot of room for error.. snow is really gonna mess us up :)

So Monday night was a bit tricky as well. Steve goes to support group on Mondays and although they do have a babysitter there, Tyler doesn't nap since we are on the go so much and he is tired by 6:30, the group goes until 8 so he'd never make it and we really couldn't' afford a sitter this week so I stayed with the kids. Ok, long story short, it was a short night of sleep. Ben's been waking up a lot lately with misc. issues. he actually struggled to go to sleep that night for some reason. Then Tyler started coughing around midnight and that lasted a good 30 minutes. Then around 3:00 I hear Tyler screaming. I run into his room and he's standing just inside his door (he can't get out cause we have a child lock ont he inside of his door). I try to calm him and it wasn't working, he didn't' feel feverish or act like he had a hurt body part anywhere so I lay him down in his bed and grab one of his blankets and lay on the floor next to him. He seemed to be somewhat satisfied with this and laid down.. he kept leaning over and checking on me every 5 mins. Was scared to fall asleep cause I didn't want to miss the alarm and I was a bit worried if Ben woke up upset I wouldn't know it cause I can't hear him from Tyler's room. So I laid there next to Ty, a few times slowly trying to crawl my way but getting caught and then freezing in my position.. so funny if i were on video. I know many parents who talk about crawling out of their kids rooms. ha. Anyway, I was finally able to leave around 4:00 and found myself to then be starving for some reason so I struggled to fall back asleep. My alarm went off at 5:30, I hit snooze until 5:45 when I heard ben yelling that he was ready go get up. Yawn yawn.. where's the coffee.. it would seemt hat the earlier the kids get up the further ahead I'd be but somehow I felt like I was playing catchup all morning. So dropped Ben off at daycare, then Ty at school at 8:35 and then off to work. i was so so tired. Mondays wear me out so If I don't catch up on sleep on Monday nights I'm in trouble. Tuesday I was dragging! Someone at work asked why I was so tired so I explained I had a busy Monday and the boys were up a lot and Tyler was really upset in the middle of the night. She asked what was wrong with him and I said, "i don't know"... cause he can't talk. he cant tell me. If I'm around him when he gets upset, usually I can easily figure it out, he got hurt, or is upset at a toy or something but I have no idea why he was so upset. Damn autism.. makes those things tricky. Same thing situation int he morning. He wouldn't come downstairs and I had no idea why he didn't want to come downstairs. I tried all of the tricks but inevitably I needed him to come downstairs so I could get him dressed and give him breakfast and his supplements so I finally did what I probably should not have and picked him up and brought him downstairs. In the grand scheme of things, when he's 10 I'm not gonna be able to do that so I try to be patient and make it happen on his own will even if he's not happy about it but I just didn't have the time to do it the right way. Would have been awesome if he could have told me why he didn't want to come downstairs. I seriously dream at least twice a week that he can talk and it's so amazing.

OK on to other things. Was looking at a picture book last night with Ty. It's one we got Steve for fathers day with a bunch of family pictures. Anyway, we got to one page and I pointed out who was who and he pointed at the picture and threw my hand up at the wall. There is one big black and white picture of Tyler and one big black and white picture of Ben when they were babies in our room and Tyler was telling me that the picture in the book was the same as the one on the wall.. Yep, sure was! Then we got to one picture and I said that's Tyler and I touched him and said that's you. So then there was one of me and I said and that's mommy and he touched my face. he really comprehends so much.. he's so are of things that people don't even realize.

ben is still really excited to get Tyler talking and he even initiates it and starts babbling to see if we can get Tyler babblign too. it's so cute and I hope he's interest in interacting with Tyler continues.

We are hosting a Thansgiving at our house this year which will be the first event we've held at our house with Ty there since their first birthday party. WE are really looking forward to it and hope all goes well so we can continue to expand our horizons and do a little bit more family stuff. We know everyone misses us and we miss them and definetly want to be able to be involved in more things as a whole family rather than separating which is how we've managed the last couple of years.