Friday, August 22, 2008

8/21/08 Update

Carrie will be coming this weekend (we've missed her) to help Daddy and Grandma learn how to foster communication with Tyler during mealtimes which will give mom and ben a chance to have some alone time. Grandma is staying through til Monday to help us out as daycare is on vacation right now, thanks Grandma!

Tyler and Ben were playing together again this morning. Ben was hiding behind the curtain and Tyler would wait for Ben to appear and I'd shout "boo" and everyone laugh. It's such a treat to see them interact. Tyler is also hugging Ben more, in general, Tyler is definitely liking his hugs lately. Ben has been resisting the hugs (whining when Tyler hugs him) so I'm trying to work with him on that. You can't blame him cause there aer times when Tyler gets that close that he hurts ben by pulling his hair or scratching him so I'd be leery too. I also asked that Steve mention this to carrie so she can give us her expert advice as to how to make Ben enjoy his hug a bit more. What I'm trying to do is really really praise them whent hey do hug and I also join in so I can be an intermediary so Ben feels more comfortable/safe but we are all still hugging. It seemed to work this morning anyway.

Also, I'm sure you remember me talking about the Judson Center before http://www.judsoncenter.org/page.php?catID=118&page=What%20We%20Do&id=7&catName=Autism%20Connections they are a great local organization. I've also talked before in the blog about Stephanie Harlan before who is the Director for the Judson Center. Her son Justin is recovered from autism and he's just an amazing inspiration and so is she. She never gave up no matter what the cost and her hard work paid off. Justin is such an inspiration. Anyway, they host an annual Duffy Adams 5K run to benefit the Judson Center. It was the first race I ever ran last year and am planning to do it again this year. They also have a 5K walk or a 1K walk; if anyone is interested in signing up go to http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1560186&assetId=6e42a340-4303-4aa7-a97d-6dc56913090c it goes to a very good cause.