Tuesday, August 26, 2008

8/26/08

Yeah, playgroup went a lot better today. The instructors helped by changing things up a bit so that Tyler's frustration would be limited. It really worked.

we are getting ready to start those changes we mentioned a few weeks ago to rid Tyler's body of yeast. We've started gathering all the new medications and doing the necessary research into the diet. We still have a few unanswered questions, but the doctor said to transition slowly so we'll figure those out as we go. What I know now is that I need to change his bread. We don't use bread often so hopefully the taste change won't be too big a deal, especially since we mainly use it for french toast and with syrup (although we have to get special syrup now) hopefully it won't be too yucky. Also, one of our staple snack foods are GF pretzels ($7 per bag!!) and those will be a big no-no so I need to find something to replace those. They are so simple to pack up and take on the road. I started reviewing my GFCF cookbook last night cause they have many recipes for yeast free too so I'm hoping to find some snacky foods in there I can make up in large batches and then take with us on the road. I've found alternatives to ketch up too and we need to replace applejuice and sugar. Our DAN doc said no splenda but the cook book said splenda ok so we'll play it by ear and see what seems to work. I need to transition both boys onto juice with splenda (not regular sugar) and then we'll just keep it watered down like we do now. I hear almond choclolate milk is good (expensive though) so I'm hoping that can replace applesause as a way to get all the supplements in him. I guess we'll just make our own pear sauce but first we need to get another mini food processor, ours broke. But we did start to get him pear flavored applesauce to get him ready for the transition. Ok, sorry, I'm rambling here. Anyway, we are actively working towards ridding his body of yeast.

Grandma was with us for an extended period of time this weekend, thanks grandma. She actually watched the boys on Monday for us because our daycare was on vacation. Over the weekend, Carrie visited to help Grandma and Steve with feeding time and any other concerns they had in terms of working with Tyler. The meeting went very well. It also gave mom some time to spend alone with Ben. we went to the museum and grocery shopping, Ben was great and I bet he really enjoyed the mom time. We all went to the park on Sunday and we worked with Tyler on gross motor skills, and then talking/oral motor stuff/word approximations during swinging. Everything can be an occasion to work with Tyler once your mind is trained that way. AND... Ben finally went down the big slide by himself! He's been scared to do that until now.

P.S. Tyler still has a cough, Ben's finally seems to be going away. Will we ever all be healthy at the same time again?

That's about all I have for now. Tyler's Angels is in 3rd place for fundraising right now, yeah!