Thursday, October 9, 2008

100908 - 3 days until the walk!!

Tyler's Angel's is still in 4th place for the SE Michigan Walk Now for Autism, yeah!!!!!!!!! Great job team. We are well over $5,000!

we got some good feedback from Tyler's OT today so I thought I would share:

Hello Melissa, today in OT I noticed Tyler was very vocal and signed open a lot. Before I got there Karen had been dancing and jumping with the kids and playing Simon Says. We moved and bounced on the therapy ball, did some songs with finger plays. He put the 3D train puzzle together himself and moved it while I gave the choo choo noises (very fun). He is popping the packing bubbles very well now while I sing “pop goes the weasel” and the “popcorn song” (shows finger strength), we have been doing lines that go down, to the side and circles on the wipe off board and he did the horizontal lines independently today (yeah) this is the first time he seems interested in the drawing (visual motor). We did the pennies, pegs, blocks on a stick ( he is doing most of them independently now), and shape sorter. I have noticed that he does not even want to do the ball and block “in” toys now and prefers the higher level toys…very cool he is gravitating to higher level entertainment!
This morning I spent some one on one time with Tyler prior to occupational therapy at OT and he was was imitating a few of the sounds I made while reading an alphabet book from Grandma Wilson. It has a letter on each page and he would point to it, i'd say the letter, then he'd look at me and make a sound and then I'd make the sond of the letter. Sometimes he wants to hear it again so he'll make a sound again and I'll make the sound again (he's looking at me the whole time). So today when I got to S, he made the SH sound and did that with a few other letters. I'm trying to get him to more make the sound of the object vs. just saying "uh" which he has a habit of doing when he knows he needs to talk in order to get something. I do this by just reinforcing a change in his "uh" for example if we wanted him to say "on" to turn the water on, I'd do it a few time and then when he said "uh" i'd say "on", he'd say "uh" and I'd say "on" again and then eh realizes I'm looking for something different and he'll change the way he says it. Then once/if he gets it right or an approximation of teh word, we know he can say it so then we only give him what he wants when he says it that way again.
Tyler is getting a kick out of the sign for cookie right now. We were looking at a picture book with a cookie in it and I was signing cookie and then helping him sign cookie, he was all smiles (last night). So this mronign we did it again and he remember quite a bit of how to sign it.
Ben's teeth/gums are recovering and he's a ham as normal. He really likes to say, "I'm having a hard day" which is just to cute.