Thursday, October 23, 2008

102308

I know everyone is wondering how preschool is going so here's the scoop. Day #1 went really well according to the teacher. But as the week progresses and Tyler is starting to understand thath e goes everyday, it's getting harder. He had a rough day yesterday. Steve dropped him off and Tyler melted down and didn't want Steve to leave. Throughout the day yesterday, Tyler struggled with transitions. He also fell asleep after lunch. Typically Tyler sleeps for 2 to 2.5 horus in the afternoon and struggles to go to bed at night, now he's getting 1.5 nap and it's a bit later than normal so he's just adjusting to going to sleep earlier at night and getting less during the day. Anyway, so yesterday was a grandpa pick up day. Steve met grandpa at the school to pick up Tyler since it was grandpa's first time picking him up. Tyler was crying when they picked him up, again just struggling with transitions. So I knew sicne yesterday was a bad day, the drop off today was going to be quite difficult and today is my drop off day. I made sure to get tehre right before class started insetad of early so he wouldn't have to hang around thinking about it. he started crying as soon as I unhooked his seat belt. I held him and gave him hugs and kisses and sang to him as we walked in the school. When we got inside the school near the class, I sat down with him and waited for the doors to open to teh classroom and the teacher came over and talked to me about his transitions and I gave a few suggestions on thing sthat we know help at home. i.e. counting so say 5 more seconds and you are all done with that car adn then cuont down for him. Also having Tyler put the toy away or have a speciric role to end the activity rather than just stopping and moving to the next activity. As he gets used to the classroom, people and the activities, in general things will get easier but for now they are gonig to try to put as much supports in as possible. Also the teacher told me that they are going to start off with swiming for him today which he really likes to really try to reinforce how fun school so he'll start to want to come. So all and all things are going as expected for a autistic toddler who is going through some pretty major changes in schedule and environment but it's not easy for any of us. Today, the teacher said, ok I can take him into the classroom and she picked him up from my arms and hugged him and took him intot he classroom as he's screaming/crying and not wanting to leave me. SO TOUGH.. it took every ounce of restraint I had to hold back my tears until I got into the car. I just kept telling myself, this is the best thing for him and it's just going to take time to adjust and stay strong for the little guy.